The term un-ending life refers to everlasting life. It’s the spirit life that goes on after the the demise of the material earthly life.
– God’s initial plan was to create an immortal man, that would never die.
– Due to sin, that privilege was lost, and man had to die.
– Death is everyone’s debt that he or she must pay one day.
UN-ENDING LIFE IN THE PRESENT SITUATION
The concept of un-ending life is as old as mankind since it is expressed in all beliefs and religions all over.
THE MAJOR CAUSES OF DEATH IN THE MODERN TIMES
1. There’s a case of deadly diseases that have no vaccines, that kill millions of people yearly especially in Africa such as HIV/AIDS, malaria, etc.
2. More are also killed by accidents of many kinds that include motor, air crash, electrocution, drowning etc.
3. There’s a growing trend of terrorism related deaths world wide where jihadist groups eg Islamic State, Alshabab etc kill civilians to instil fear.
4. People also have perished in various wars resulting from Socio-economic and political differences among people and nations eg Kony’s war in Northern Uganda.
5. Famine bred by drought and pests led to shortage of food killing people especially children by hunger and malnutrition eg in Karamoja.
6. Many also die due to natural catastrophes, that can’t be avoided. Such include landslides eg in Bududa, Earthquakes, floods etc.
7. Old age also claims lives of many aged people who surviveall other causes of death. Old men and women know they may die naturally, anytime.
8. Some people also commit suicide. Out of disappointment, frustration or mental illnesses, people may hang, shoot or drown themselves.
9. Angry mobs that take the law into their hands, and punish wrong doer suspects without proper legal processes also have caused many deaths.
10. Many unborn lives have also been lost through abortion when young girls expel unwanted pregnancies from their wombs. The girls themselves may die.
11. Many children also side at birth (maternal mortality) especially in rural Africa where skilled midwives are lacking.
12. Terrible crimes such as treason, drug trafficking, murder etc have also been punished with the death sentence that has claimed lives.
13. People have also died when attacked by ruthless armed robbers, thugs, hired killers etc. Thuggery therefore is a major cause of death.
14. There are also social disputes within society such as quarrels over land, property, women etc which see the use of pangas, spears etc to kill.
THE WAYS HOW THE MESSAGE OF UN-ENDING LIFE IS BROADCASTED
Many arrangements are put in place to make people aware of a life after death. This is done to instil hope into people, for them to have a purposeful life. Religion and the gospel are all about a good life after and hence well be looking at how religious message is spread.
1. Open crusades are used where mass preaching are carried out in open places or in churches, common especially among Pentecostals.
2. It is also accessed through regular sermons in churches on Sundays. This is done by various religious leaders.
3. Through Bible study sessions also people are enlightened the message. The non traditional denominations such as Methodists, Jehovah’s Witnesses etc emphasize these.
4. There’s the use of songs and hymns in praise and worship sessions that pass on the message.
5. Christians also hold fellowships where they meet up and share the message. Such meet ups attract relatives and friends that share in the message too.
6. Through the helping the disadvantaged, eg orphans, christians have spread the message of un-ending life since they’re seen to be working to acquire it themselves.
7. It is also through Christians’ commitment to doing the work of God totally, that other people learn of digest the message of eternal life.
8. There is the use of gospel music, broadcast on radios and televisions by famous artistes to awaken people to the message of life after.
9. Seminars and workshops are also organized, targeting certain groups of people in which the message is spread.
10. Scriptures have also been circulated to the most people in society. The Bible also has been translated into many languages so the message can easier digested.
11. Religious literature has also been generated where novels, magazines and journals are printed, containing the message and spread.
12. The practice of visiting individual homes and praying there by religious people has helped convey the eternal life message.
13. The role of parents can’t be underlooked also since it is them that have to give primary guidance about everlasting like to their children.
14. The message is as well spread over social media, over networks such as whatsapp, facebook and others with the rise of smartphone use.
RESPONSE TO UNENDING LIFE MESSAGE AMONG UGANDANS
The message has been spread. The people have received it with different attitudes. There are parts of it that have been fully embraced eg resurrection, judgement day etc. On the other hand, there are some people that can’t accept it. They have little faith in the church due to bad things they see eg embezzlement etc.
POSITIVE RESPONSE (the parts of eternal life message believed most, what people do to show they are working to get eternal life, what one ought to do to acquire a good life after etc)
1. Belief in resurrection. Jesus showed proof that a life after is real by dying and resurrecting three days later. Ugandans believe this as a sign of of life after death.
2. Belief in the judgement day. Man will one day account for his deeds on Earth. Many Ugandans struggle to observe God’s moral requirements to prepare for this day.
3. Heavenly reward. There’s awareness among Ugandans that righteous acts that please God shall be rewarded with eternity. Evils deeds are known to lead one to hell.
4. Repentance as the way. Ugandans do confess, abandon their sins and seek for forgiveness from Jesus. This is seen as they way to a good life after
5. Faith in Christ. Ugandans agree that it is having faith in Jesus the saviour, and not by fulfillment of all laws that one can go and live in heaven. One is saved by Christ’s Grace.
6. Understanding the scriptures. The message of eternal life is contained within the Bible but which has to be studied regularly for a its deeper understanding. Ugandans accept this.
7. Living prayerfully. Ugandans have deep faith in prayer for God’s mercy as a means to acquire an unending life. They communicate to God in church, individually etc.
8. Role of the Holy Spirit. The most Ugandans agree that they have to rely on the power of the Holy Spirit for protection and strength on the path of unending life.
9. Evangelism. Many people now are engaging in the broadcast of the eternal life message across the world, so as to attain it as well. This is according to Jesus’ order in Mark 11:15
10. Compassion. Ugandans do reach out to the poor, the displaced, orphans etc helping them with necessities. This is viewed as a prerequisite for attaining an unending life.
11. Reconciliation. Social conflicts are in society. Ugandans do try to amend relations, to make friends again like Jesus forgave his enemies. This puts one in the path to eternity.
12. Endurance. Ugandan Christians have accepted to persist, living within suffering and trouble doing God’s work aiming to achieve an everlasting life.
13. Eucharist. The act of drinking wine and eating bread as a reminder of Jesus’ body and blood shed for sinners is a renewal of one’s commitment to the path of an unending life and many Ugandans do it.
14. Fellowship. Ugandan Christians believe in the habit of meeting to share experiences and encouragement as a way of attaining everlasting life.
THE NEGATIVE RESPONSE (Why some Ugandans can’t believe in the Christian teaching, why they have lost faith in it etc)
#Due to most that is going on in church, some people see no reason for why they should believe the Christan teaching on heaven. This is mainly due to the bad examples some christians and theirs leaders manifest#
1. Some Ugandans consider the Christian message of unending life strange and foreign. They find it different from the traditional belief and thus decide to oppose it.
2. Many Christians and their leaders live oppositely to what they preach hence not being exemplary eg practicing sodomy, committing suicide etc hence a negative response to the message from the public.
3. The absence of miracles as compared to the Bible times has made it worse. The public would want to see the lame walk, the sick healed instantly which isn’t happening hence opposition.
4. The church today has neglected the habit of sharing as was in the early church. Christians are individualistic, sidelining fellow Christians leading to a negative response to the message.
5. Church has changed from place prayer to other businesses not related to God. Much time is spent making announcements, in committee meetings etc which creates frustration among people.
6. Although Jesus intended to build a universal church, today there is a tendency to favour one group of people against the others especially according to class and status.
7. The abuse of the pulpit that includes people using it to insult each other publicly has bred negativity to the message. Instead, the pulpit should be a place for reconciling foes.
8. Church funds have also been misused through diversions and misappropriation which portrays extreme selfishness. Such acts make people lose faith in listening to Heaven’s message.
9. Some church leaders and ordinary Christians have portrayed them as very materialistic, engaging in improper money making deals such as smuggling, gambling hence the negative reaction.
10. Some are also engaged it sexual immoralities that really empty heaven’s message. Such acts include pedophilia, sodomy, snatching of married women etc.
11. Some sections of Christianity also over emphasize the fulfillment of religious rituals instead of ensuring harmony among people. This includes reciting the rosary but with grudges with people.
12. There have also been power struggles with christians fighting for leadership positions as a matter of life and death. This makes the public have a bias on the message of eternal life.
13. Most churches have relations with foreign organizations that finance them. This has created an impression that churches are merely promoting foreign interests and not a Godly message.
14. The Christian teaching has also had to be linked to colonialists who followed Christian missionaries and mistreated Africans. Some people thus doubt it, calling it a selfish scheme of the whites.