PROPER HANDLING OF FOOD
- Food handling
- food contamination
- eating habits
- food preservation
- food security
Handling of food in a way that prevents it from being contaminated.
WATCH THE VIDEO TO LEARN THE BEST WAY FOR FOOD PRESERVATION
Ways of proper handling of food.
- Wash hands before preparing food.
- Wash hands before serving food.
- Wash vegetables and fruits before eating them.
- Prepare food in a clean place.
- Serve food in clean containers.
Importance of proper handling of food
- It prevents food contamination
- It preserves food for future use.
- It protects the food from pests.
The making of food dirty.
WHAT IS FOOD CONTAMINATION? THE VIDEO EXPLAINS IN DETAIL WHAT FOOD CONTAMINATION IS
Dangers of poor handling of food
- It spreads germs
- It causes the food to go bad
- It may cause food poisoning.
Ways food gets contamination
- Serving food with dirty hands.
- Serving food in dirty utensils.
- Houseflies and cockroaches
- Preparing food in a dirty environment.
- By dust falling on uncovered food.
GOOD EATING HABITS
- Wash hands before eating food.
- Sit upright when eating food.
- Chew food properly before swallowing.
- Avoid talking while eating food.
- Chew food when the mouth is closed.
Bad eating habits
- Eating food with unwashed
- Bending/lying down while eating food.
- Swallowing food before chewing it properly.
- Chewing food with an open mouth.
- Putting big lumps in the mouth at one time.
Dangers of bad eating habits.
- Eating food with unwashed hands contaminates food and may lead to diarrhea.
- Bending while eating food interferes with movement of food in the alimentary canal.
- Swallowing food before proper chewing can lead to indigestion. It can also lead to choking.
- Talking when food is in the mouth and spitting food on other people near you.
- Big lumps can lead to indigestion.
The keeping of food free from germs.
Ways of preserving food.
- Sun drying e.g. cassava, e.g. cassava, beans
- Salting e.g. meat
- Smoking e.g. fish
- Tinning/ bottling/ canning
- Freezing e.g. milk
- Refrigerating e.g. oranges, green vegetables, milk
- Roasting e.g. meat
- Boiling and heating
This is when a family / community has enough food for eating all year around.
Food security can be achieved through.
- Growing enough food.
- Proper storage of food.
- Preservation of food.
- Practicing proper farming methods.
Importance of food security
- The family has enough food to eat throughout the year.
- It prevents deficiency diseases in the family.