Marriage (Genesis 2:18, Matt 19:4)
Marriage is the legal union of a man and a woman as husband and wife.
Why marriage is a social institution:
Unites different families, clans, tribes and other races.
Types of marriage
- Religions marriage
- The marriage is conducted either in church or mosque.
- The marriage is performed by a religious leader.
- It is called Holy Matrimony in Christianity
In bad and good times, poverty and riches, sickness and health only death that will separate us
What the couple does in church
- Exchanging promises (VOWS)
- Signing marriage certificate
- Exchanging rings.
- Marriage is performed according to the traditional customs.
- It involves payment of the bride price.
Money and property in some societies that husband must pay to his wife’s family
IMPORTANCE OF BRIDE PRICE
- Short that marriage has been recognize.
- The marriage performed by the government official.
- In Uganda its performed by chief administration officers (CAO)
PURPOSE OF MARRIAGE (MATTHEW 19:4, GEN 1:27-28, GEN 2:18-25)
- For company
- To produce children
- For sexual pleasure
- For respect.
BIBLICAL LAWS ON MARRIAGE (1COR 7:1-16)
- Every man should have one wife and every woman and husband.
- A man should fulfill his duty as a husband and a woman should fulfill her duties as a wife.
- A husband is a master to his wife’s body and a wife too is a master of her husband’s body.
- In Holy Matrimony, divorce is not allowed to marry when fails to control his or her sexual desires.
Bible laws on love (Matt. 19:3-6)
- Love is the basis of unity between husband and wife.
- Husband has to love his wife and the wife has to love her husband.
Biblical teaching on laws (Ex 20:14)
- Do not committee adultery
- Committing adultery is a sin.
Biblical laws on /teaching on divorce
- Divorce is not accepted.
Qualities of a good marriage partner
- Should have a good family background.
- Should be faithful.
- Should have true love.
- Should have good health.
- Should be obedient
- Should be hard working.
- Should be trustworthy.
- Should be educated.
- Should be good looking.
Common marriage problems
- Lack o respect for one another
- Lack of trust
- Neglect of children.
Love (Mark 12:31, Icor 13:4-7)
True love has the following meaning according to Paul.
- Love is patient
- Love is faithful
- Love is enduring / persistence.
- Love is hopeful.
- Love is kind.
- Love is everlasting.
What love is not?
- Love is jealous.
- Love is not ill mannered.
- Love is not unforgiving.
- Love is not proud.
- Love is not selfish.