LOCATION OF UGANDA ON THE MAP OF EAST AFRICA.
What is a map?
- Is a representation of an object as seen from above.
- Is a drawing of an object / a place as seen from above.
What is a picture?
- Is a representative of an object as seen from aside.
- Is a drawing of an object as seen from a side.
How is a picture different from a map?
- A picture is a representation of an object drawn as seen from aside while a map is the representation of an object drawn as seen from above.
- A picture is a drawing of an object as seen from aside while a map is the drawing of an object as seen from above.
How is a Map similar to a Picture?
- Both are representations of objects.
What are Symbols?
- These are features which represent real objects.
Give any two importance of Symbols on a map
- They help to reduce over crowding on a map.
- They help to represent real objects on a map.
Give the importance of Map reading
- It helps to locate places or features.
- It helps us to identify places or features.
- Maps help us to represent information.
ELEMENTS OF A GOOD MAP
(i) A key
(ii) A compass rose/ direction
(iii) A title/heading
(iv) A scale
v) A frame
- It is an instrument used to show direction of places.
What is a compass direction?
It is a symbol( an element) of a map that is used to tell the direction of places on a map.
People who use a Compass
(i) Sailors (vii) Tourists
(ii) Pilots (viii) Soldiers
(iii) Scouts and Girl guides (ix) Astronauts (iv) Rally drivers
(v) Mountain climbers
Ways of finding direction:
(i) Using a compass
(ii) Using the sun
Use the following lines to tell directions of the given places
- What is the compass direction of town A from B?
It is North Eastern direction
- It is South West direction.
- What is the direction of town B from A?
3 What is the compass direction of town K from P?
It is North East direction
- It is South East direction
- What is the direction of town P from town K?
Finding directions using degrees
Examples.We use clockwise and anti clock wise to find direction.
- Clockwise moving the right.
- Anti clockwise moving to left.
1 Prudence was facing North direction, she turned 45o clockwise. What is her new direction?
It is North East direction
2 Mugaye was facing North East direction. He turned at an angle of 450 clockwise. What is his new direction?
It is East direction
3 Sekibuto was South East direction. He turned at an angle of 900.What was the direction?
It is South West direction
4. Kapere was facing South West direction, he turned at angle of 1350 clockwise What is his new direction?
It is North direction
THIS VIDEO EXPLAINS HOW THE COMPASS WORKS
What is a Scale?
- It is an element of a map used to measure the actual distance of places on a map in relation to the actual ground distance.
- -It is used to calculate distance between two places on a map.
THIS VIDEO EXPLAINS HOW TO USE SCALE
What is a sketch map?
It is a map not drawn on a scale.Or it is a map drawn without a scale.
Types of scale
(i) linear scale.
(ii) Statement scale/Representative scale
(iii) Fractional scale
Using a scale to find distance
1. Nsubuga moved from town A to B a distance of 5 cm. Given that I cm represents 50 km (1:50 km). Find the actual distance.
5 cm = (5x50)km1 cm = 50 km
= 250 km
- Noah moved a distance of 7 cm from class A to class B. Given that I cm = 150 km. Find the actual distance.
1 cm = 150 km
7 cm = (7x150) km
= 1050 km
1.Juliet moved a distance of 10cm from town A to B .Given that 1 cm represents 20 cm.Find the actual ground distance in KM
2.Musumali moves a distance of 5cm from home to school on the map.Given that 1cm = 2km find the actual ground distance in Km.
Why is it difficult for Prudence to read a map without a scale?
- She will not be able to calculate the distance between places on the map in relation to the actual ground distance.
Why is it difficult for Sarah to read a map without a compass?
- She will not be able to tell direction of places.