- Short stories with hidden meanings that Jesus used.
Why did Jesus teach using parables?
- He wanted his followers to understand his message.
- He never wanted non believers to understand his message.
Parables, meanings of words in them and lessons learnt from them:
Parable of the sower (Matt. 13:1-23)
Seeds: God’s message
Sower: – Jesus, preacher of God’s message
Seeds that fell along the path- people who hear God’s word but the devil takes it away.
The seeds that fell on rocky ground – people who hear God’s word but give up when trouble or persecution comes because of the message.
The seeds that fell on good soil – people who hear God’s message and understand it.
Lesson: To believe in God.
Parable of the weeds: (Matt. 13:24-30)
The field: the world
Good seeds: – people who believe in God
Weeds: – Non believers.
Enemy who sowed the weed; – the devil
Harvest; – end of the world.
Harvest workers: – the angels
Lesson:- Never to give up our faith in God.
Parable of the lost sheep: Matthew 18:10-41)
Sheep: the believers.
Man with hundred sheep:- Jesus
Lost sheep: sinner
Ninety-nine sheep: faithful people.
Lesson:- To have love for sinners.
- To be faithful
Results of finding lost sheep:
Parable of house built on the rock (Matt. 7:24-27)
- To heed to Jesus’ teachings.
Parable of Good Samaritan (Luke 10:25-37)
- To help the needy
- To have pity for people who are suffering.
Parable of the rich fool (Luke 12:13-21)
- To trust God rather than our wealth or possessions.
The parable of the prodigal or lost son (Luke 15:11-23)
- Confess our sins
- To forgive
The parable of the lost coin (Luke 15:8-10)
- To repent
Parable of the two sons (Matt. 21:28-32)
- To repent/confess our sins.
Parable of ten virgins (Matt. 25:14-30)
- Unprepared believers will be locked out of God’s kingdom when Jesus returns.
- Believers should be prepared for the return of Jesus.
Miracles that were performed by Jesus:
- Raised Jairus’ daughter (Luke 8:40)
- Raised Lazarus (Luke 7:11-17)
- Walked on water (Matt. 14:22-32)
- He fed 5000 people (Mark 6:30-44)
- He turned water into wine (John 2:1-12)
- Made Simon to catch large number of fish (Luke 5:4-11)
- He calmed the storm (Matt. 8:23-27)
- He healed the lame (Mark 1:29-34)
- He cast demons (Matt. 8:28-24)
- Healed a woman who suffered from bleeding for 12 years. (Luke 8:24-48)
Why did Jesus perform miracles?
- To show love to people.
- To show God’s power.
- To show care to people
- To help people.parables and miracles