Guides and Tutorials
NEW! Mindy McAdams’s new, improved Windows Movie Maker Tutorial
iMovie users: See “iMovie Help” below
Make Internet TV: A guide to how to do almost anything with video
Video Tips for Still Photographers, by Regina McCombs (one-page PDF)
Top 10 Mistakes of Rookie Filmmakers, by videographer Bill Pryor
Shooting on the Go: Avoid shaking, jumpy video by learning how to steady your camera — without a tripod
Filmmaker’s Tool Kit: Creating a Movie with Web 2.0: Advice about many free online tools for production and post-production
Production School — MetaCafe: A lot (really a LOT) of nice, SHORT tutorials, on video, about video
Download seven video clips to use in editing a sequence: Video Examples
Five Shots, 10 Seconds: Use the five-shot method and the 10-second rule to shoot video that is easy to edit!
Blogs and Discussion Forums
News Videographer — Angela Grant’s blog
VideoJournalism — Cyndy Green’s blog
Mastering Multimedia — Colin Mulvany’s blog
Newspaper Video — discussion forum on Yahoo! groups
Windows Movie Maker Tutorials
Step by step guide: How to convert an MOV file to AVI for use in WMM
From Microsoft, but good anyway:
- Capturing video
- Trim your clips
- Import an audio track
- Add narration
- More WMM tutorials
- Troubleshooting: FAQ (frequently asked questions)
If you are using Windows Vista, see this page for Windows Movie Maker help
NEW: iMovie 09 Basics (PDF, 1 MB) Version 1.2
Covers basic video editing and how to export in several important formats.
The key to getting control of editing with iMovie is to use the “Precision Editor” feature.
Note that iMovie ’09 is significantly better than iMovie ’08, so it’s worth it to upgrade iLife if you have the ’08 version.
The version of iMovie after 09 is iMovie 11. I have not used it yet!
- iMovie ’09 tutorials (at Apple.com)
- New in iMovie ’11 (at Apple.com)
- Really good overview of iMovie ’09: Randy Ubillo’s demonstration of iMovie 09; note in particular the demonstration of the “Precision Editor” about one-third of the way through.
- Printable iMovie ’09 tutorial (PDF file,1.7 MB)
- iMovie ’08 tutorials (at Apple.com)
More useful tips for editing with iMovie:
- Quick Tip: Split a Clip at the Playhead
- How to Do Cutaway Sound in Three Different Ways (illustrated tips for overlaying audio or cutting in a shot — VERY USEFUL)
- “Precision Editor” tutorial (from Apple) — VERY USEFUL
- Export HD Video from iMovie 09
- Tips for exporting HD from iMovie 09
Massive Resource Site
Ken Stone’s Final Cut Pro: More than just FCP tutorials; also audio, DVD burining, hardware reviews, compression tips — and more!
As an aid to a journalism training session I agreed to give, I created a short PowerPoint that is aimed at journalism students.
Windows Live Movie Maker is quite different from its predecessor — Windows Movie Maker (not “live”). It is less versatile in several ways. To answer my own questions about WLMM, I did quite a lot of searching on the Web. To spare others the trouble and share the answers I found, I made a two-page PDF with links:
Windows Live Movie Maker Tips (PDF, 128 KB)
If you have any helpful WLMM links to suggest, please add a comment.