FACTORS FAVOURING THE GROWTH OF WHEAT
-Moderate rain fall between 386mm-510mm a year which is quite ideal for wheat growing.
-The areas have deep natural rich grassland soils (black chernozem soils) which contain a lot of humus for wheat growth.
-Although the area has short growing periods, it has worm temperatures of 160c and dry sunny weather which is suitable from wheat ripening and harvesting.
-There was cheap and abundant land as a result of the sparse population and this facilitated the large scale farming and even some land can be left under fallow.
-The areas have gently sloping land and this ensures good drainage and facilities easy use of machines on the farms.
-Market is available especially from industrial countries like Japan and western parts of Europe.
-There is a good and efficient top network system within the city and on the cost. They mostly use the railways which is a cheap and efficient and export it through the ports of Vancouver price Rupert and Church Hill
-Availability of capital; the farmers have the availability to purchase the farming implements for other machines which are necessary for the effective management of these large farms.
-There is skilled labour; these mostly operate with machines and handle the management skills. During harvesting, they employ manual workers
-The area is well drained and if the rainfall is not sufficient, they can irrigate thee crop. This (insufficient rainfall) occurs in the western Part of Alberta.
-Pests and diseases for example grasshoppers
-Some tines there is drought due to the shortage of rainfall
-Late or early forest which destroys the wheat
-Price fluctuations on the market
-Dust storms and some tines hurricanes that destroy a lot of wheat
-There is over production of wheat resulting into price fluctuation
-Soil exhaustion due to monoculture
-Competition with other wheat producing countries such as China and Japan
-Manual labour is not easily available during busy periods like harvesting
-High costs of production due to expensive machines
Some of the problems are natural and therefore have no easy solutions but other problems can be solved by:-
– Spraying to control pests and diseases and introduction of disease resistant wheat varieties.
– Introduction of detectors for hurricanes and dust storms and if the crop is ready, it is harvested
– Over production has been controlled by construction of buffer stocks to store excess wheat
– Mixed cropping is also encouraged. It can be controlled by following the lands
– Farmers are encouraged to grow other crops which have high market like soya beans, sun flower, sugar boots and vegetables.
– Labour shortage has been controlled by use of machines and importation of labour from Mexico (South America)
– Soil exhaustion has been solved by following method land and application of fertilizers.
– Economic diversification has been encouraged that is to say; instruction to control problems of price fluctuation.
– Drought can be overcome through irrigation