(Introduce the three place values; hudrends, tens and ones.)
Addition of money
Ref: Mk Standard Bk 1 pg 96-98 Mk standard Bk 2 pg 124.
Addition of money in word problem
They have 400 shillings altogether.
- Henry bought a pencil at 500 shillings and a book at 400 shillings. How much did he pay altogether?
- I had 300 shillings and mother added me 500 shillings. How much money do I have now?
- What is 100shillings and 300 shillings more?
- Annet had 600 shillings in the pocket and her father gave her 250 shillings more. How much money does she have now?
- I bought a pencil at 200 shillings and a banana at 900 shillings. How much money did I pay?
- Add 500 shillings to 500 shillings. How much money is it?
Add more numbers for practice.
Ref: Mk Standard Bk 2 pg 124
Mk Bk 2 pg 96-98
Subtraction of money in word problem
He was left with sh. 100.
You remained with sh. 400.
Pupils must show the working.
1.I had sh. 600 and I milk at sh. 400 . How much money remained?
2.Musa had 800 shillings. He bought sweet potatoes at 700 shillings. How much money remained?
3) I had 400 shillings, I used 200 shillings to buy tomatoes. How much money remained?
4) A shopkeeper had 900 shillings and bought an egg at 500 shillings. How much money did he remain with?
5) Ann had 800 shillings and she lost 300 shillings. How much money remained?
6) Moses had 1700 shillings and he gave away 500 shillings. How much money did he remain with?
7) A boy had 550 shillings and bought a fish at 250 shillings . How much money was left?
8) What is 700 shillings less 6ooshillings?
9) Subtract 300 shillings from 450 shillings.
10) 400 shillings take-away 200shillings equals
Reference: A NEW Mk Standard Bk 2 pg 128
A NEW MTC 2000 BK 1 pg 130