How to communicate to God:
- Through praying
How God communicates
- Through the Bible
- Through vision
- Through prophets
- Through priests.
A prayer is a way of communicating to God
Types of prayers:
- Prayers of praise: – prayers said to glorify God (Exodus 15:1-8)
- Thanksgiving prayers- prayers said to thank God (Psalms 138)
- Confessional prayers: prayers said to request God for forgiveness (Psalms 51:19, 2Samuel 12:13)
- Petition prayers: prayers said to request our bodily and spiritual needs or present a problem to God
- Intercessional prayers – prayers said to request God to meet other people’s needs.
Importance of prayers:
- They help us to come closer to God.
- They help us to control our emotions.
- They help us to talk to God.
- They help us to find relief in times of stress and sorrow.
Reasons why Christians pray:
- To thank God
- To praise God
- To confess our sins.
- To ask for protection.
Ways of praying (Matt. 6:5-7, 18/19, Mark 1:35, Acts 10:46)
- Praying silently – praying in privacy without using words.
- Praying loudly – praying together loudly in a group (public praying)
Forms of a loud prayer
- Loud prayer from memory
- Loud prayer from a prayer book.
- Singing hymns together.
Principles of follow during a prayer
- Have faith
- Be humble before God.
- Turn the whole mind to God.
- Turn your desires/needs to God.
When should a Christian pray?
- When he/she is in need.
- At anytime
- When he/she is in joy or sorrow.
Times for common prayers
- To thank God for the protection at night.
- To thank God for the new day.
- To confess the sins committed during day.
- To ask for protection during
- Ask God to bless the meal.
- Thank God for providing the meal
During difficult times.
- To ask God for protection.
Time of joy
- To glorify God.
Ways of getting to know God better:
- We need the guidance of the Holy Spirit in order to know God.
Ways the Holy Spirit guides us to know God
- He makes you to recognize that God loves you.
- He makes one to admit that he/she is a sinner and needs God’s help.
- He makes one to recognize that he/she belongs to God’s family (church)
- He makes one to accept Jesus as a personal Saviour.
- He makes one to be committed to serve God.
Some of the ways of serving God
- By praying
- By reading the Bible
- By meditating
- By fasting
The book of Psalms
- Was written by king David
- Contains prayers.
Types of prayers in the book of Psalms
- Confessional prayers (Psalms 32:5)
- Thanksgiving prayers (Psalms 38)
- Petition prayers (Psalms 6:1-2)
Jesus’ teaching on a prayer (Matt. 6:9-13)
- The prayer Jesus taught his apostles is called the Lord’s Prayer.
Lessons that we learn from the Lord’s Prayer:
- To praise God
- To request God for our daily needs.
- To ask God for forgiveness.
- To ask God to protect us from evil.
- To forgive others.
Reasons why Jesus prayed.
- To get food (Luke 8:6)
- To forgive his enemies (Luke 23:33-34)
- To know Gods will (Matt. 26:42)
- To ask for strength and courage. (Matt. 26:39)
Places where Jesus prayed from
- Gethsemane (Matt. 26:39-42)
- On top of the hill (Mark 6:46)
- At the grave yard (John 11:41-43)
LESSONS WE LEARN FROM JESUS PRAYER LIFE:
- Praying must be with faith.
- Never to doubt that God is listening to our prayers.
- To pray with all our soul, heart and mind.
- Prayers can be said in any place.