Voice is the form of a verb that shows whether the subject of a sentence performs the action (active) or is affected by it (passive voice).
There are two kinds of voice:
- Active voice
- Passive voice
This is the form of a verb which emphasizes the doer of the action by making it the subject.
This is the form of a verb which emphasizes the object by making it the subject of the sentence. It is used when it is more convenient or interesting to stress the thing done than the doer of it or when the doer is unknown.
1. John revised the notes during the holiday. (Active voice)
The notes were revised by John during the holiday.
Past Perfect tense- passive voice
The passive form of this tense is developed by using …….has/have been plus the past participle form of the verb.
- I have written two letters this morning(Active)
Two letters have been written by me this morning. (passive)
- Someone has just broken a glass.
A glass has just been broken.
- The teacher has taught me.
I have been taught by the teacher.
- Has he eaten the food?
Has the food been eaten by him?
- Who has taken my pen?
By whom has my pen been taken?
- The dog hasn’t eaten the bone
The bone hasn’t been eaten by the dog.
A VIDEO EXPLAINING PASSIVE WITH THE PRESENT PERFECT TENSE
Rewrite the following sentences in the present perfect passive form.
- The butchers have raised the prices of meat.
- She has bought a new uniform.
- That stubborn boy has beaten my child.
- A policeman has shot a notorious thief
- Someone has killed our gatekeeper.
- Jack hasn’t washed my bedsheets.
- My niece has done an interview.
- Has he replied to your letter?
- The Greenhill Staff Choir has sung a beautiful song.
- They have stolen my new bedsheets.
- She has seen the seamstress.
- I had already knitted the shirt.
- The tailor had just sewn an expensive gown.
- The seamstress had not measured me yet.
- Those students had never seen a seamstress.
- The rain had hit the sewing machines.
- The tailor had mended my tom trousers.
- We had driven off the suspects.
- She had cut the clothing using a pair of scissors.
- The tailors had sewn many suits.