What is Vegetation?
- This is the plant cover of an area.
There are two types of vegetation.
i) Natural vegetation
What is Natural Vegetation?
This is the plant cover of an area that grows on its own.
What is planted vegetation?
This is the plant cover of an area that is grown by people.
Plantation vegetation include:
Natural vegetation consists of the following:
- Natural forests.
- Natural grass.
- Swamp vegetation
Factors which influence vegetation distribution in Uganda
vi)Reliable rainfall of the area.
vi)Drainage of land.
What are natural forests?
- These are trees that grow on their own on a large piece of land.
- These are trees that are grown by people on a large piece of land.
Give commercial/Economic uses of forests
i) Provide firewood.
ii) Provide timber.
iv) Provide herbs.
v) Provide charcoal.
vi) Provide electric poles..
vi) Provide poles for building.
Other values/uses of forests
i) They help in formation of rainfall.
ii) Modifies climate.
iv) They are homes of wild animals. (Wildlife)
v) Control soil erosion.
vi) They maintain soil fertility.
vii) Forests act as wind breaks.
In which way to forests support wild animals
i) They are homes of wild animal
ii)They provide shelter
iii)They provide pasture to wild animals.
How are the following important to people?
It is sold for income/ fuel.
How do forests provide income to people
i) Attract tourists for income.
ii) provide firewood which is sold.
How do forests modify/improve the climate of an area?
- They help in formation of rainfall
How does vegetation help in rainfall formation?
- Through the process of transpiration.
Note: Heat from the sun heats the vegetation.
- The vegetation loses water through transpiration .
- The vapour is condensed to form clouds then rain drops.
- The type of rainfall is convectional rainfall.
Give any ways in which people destroy vegetation in Uganda .
i) Through deforestation.
ii) Through bush burning.
iii)Through swamp drainage.
iv) Through over cultivation.
Suggest any two things that can be done to preserve vegetation.
i) By practicing afforestation.
ii) Planting trees and grass.
iii) Using good methods of farming like agro-forestry.
- Is the growing of trees alongside crops.
How does cutting down of trees on a large scale affect the fertility of soil?
It causes soil erosion.
How does cutting of the trees affect the climate of an area?
-It reduces the chances of rainfall.
-It leads to desertification.
How will rural electrification protect forests?
It will reduce deforestation for wood fuel
It is the extending of electricity to village areas.
Suggest ways in which destruction of natural vegetation affects the environment?
i) It reduces changes of rainfall formation.
ii) It causes soil erosion.
iii)It leads to desertification.
Of what importance if planting of trees in the compound
i) To provide shade.
ii) For study purposes.
iii)Control soil erosion.
Give two reasons why the natural vegetation is reducing.
- The natural vegetation is reducing in Uganda due to the increase of population in Uganda.
- .Poor farming methods
- Long drought
What is Deforestation?
- This is the cutting down of trees on a large scale.
Give reasons why people practice deforestation.
i) Need for land to carry out agriculture.
ii) Need for land to build industries.
iii)Need for land to build houses.
iv) Need for timber.
v) Need for land for building roads.
vi) Need for land for settlement.
vii)Need for firewood.
What are the effects of deforestation ?
i) It causes soil erosion.
ii) It reduces chances of rainfall.
iii)It displaces wild animals.
Ways of controlling Deforestation
- Educating people about dangers of deforestation
- Sensitizing people about the dangers of deforestation.
- By rural electrification
- By using better methods of vegetation.
How does deforestation affect soil fertility
- It causes soil erosion.
How does cutting of trees affect wildlife?
i) It displaces wild animals.
ii) It leads to death of wild animals
Difference between Natural and planted vegetation
|i). It grows on its own|
ii). It provides hard wood
|i). Planted by people|
ii). Provide softwood.
|iii). Takes long to mature||Takes a short time to mature.|
|Needs no care from people||It grows under care.|
Products got from planted trees
- Paper, match box,
NATURAL FORESTS IN UGANDA
- Mabira, Budongo, Malamagambo, Marabigambo, Bwindi
- Lendu, Mafuga, Magamaga
MAP OF UGANDA SHOWING FORESTS
Characteristics of Tropical rainforests
- These tress are very tall.
- It is evergreen.
- Trees have broad leaves.
- Trees form a canopy.
Examples of trees in equatorial vegetation
iv) Rose wood
Activities carried out in equatorial vegetation
- Savanna vegetation covers the largest part of Uganda, East Africa and Africa.
- Savanna consists of grasslands such as bushes, shrubs and woodland.
- Savanna is divided into two:
- Dry savanna
- Wet savanna
- In dry savanna the grass and trees have short small leaves.
- In wet savanna, the grass and trees are tall.
- The grassland is shorter close to semi-desert.
Examples of trees in savanna
In dry savanna, the trees are thorny and scattered around.
Deciduous tress shad off their leaves to reduce loss of moisture.
The vegetation zone found in mountain areas include:
- Short alpine grass
- Bamboo thicket
- Rain forests