The university is located in Kalagala sub-county, Bamunanika county, Luweero District in central Uganda. The main campus is located approximately 32 kilometres (20 mi) by road, northeast of Kampala, Uganda’s capital and largest city. The location is approximately 15 kilometres (9.3 mi), by road, south of the town of Ziroobwe, on the Gayaza-Ziroobwe Road.
The institution started in 1948 as a training school for teachers and pastors for the Seventh-day Adventist Church in East Africa. At that time it was called Bugema Missionary Training School. Later, the name changed to Bugema Missionary College and then to Bugema Adventist College. In 1978, the first class offering degrees graduated Bachelor of Theology. The college expanded and by the late 1980s curricula for Business and Education were added. In 1994, Bugema Adventist College changed its status from “college” to “university“. In 1997, Bugema University was granted a tertiary institution license from the Ministry of Education and Sports.
Bugema University is composed of the following schools.