The Multimedia Journalism Skills Course offers practical digital and multimedia skills to working journalists, media professionals, journalism trainers and students as well as ongoing support to think, prepare and produce innovate multimedia content, products and platforms.
The training is meant to empower a generation of digital media storytellers with the skills, knowledge and strategic implementation and production of digital media content for web and mobile access.
Learners will get equipped with the best practices and tools for telling stories to an online audience—through social media, on the web and to a mobile audience. They will learn to produce and engage with video, digital photography, audio, writing/ packaging for online and data visualizations.
They will be exposed to the tools and storytelling skills to produce, edit and post content 24/7 well optimized for online and mobile access. This will include having the skills to implement coding or use tools for quick production of content or platforms.
Upon completion of this program, participants will have the knowledge and tools necessary to apply their new skill set immediately to their professional work in their respective newsrooms.
At the end of the course, learners will get a Certificate in Multimedia and Digital Journalism Skills from Makerere University. This will be after they produce a satisfactory multimedia story/project published by their media house or company, their blog or our training website.
- Equip learners with practical multimedia skills for effective 21st century journalism
- Enrich the debate and solutions towards journalism and media survival in the digital age
- Spur new media practices, thinking and content production
- Contribute to the survival and development of journalism and the media.
- Boost the role journalism plays through equipping learners with innovative news and information delivery packages and tools.
- Make learners familiar with practical set up & operation of news & information packages
- MP: The New Media Thinking FREE 00:00:00
- MP: Introduction to Multimedia and multimedia story telling FREE 00:00:00
- MP: Elements of good Multimedia story telling FREE 00:57:00
- OJ: Writing for the web: What online media and journalists need to be aware of FREE 02:00:00
- OJ: Web design and online publishing – HTML, CSS, PHP, mysql FREE 02:00:00
- OJ: How to create and run effective blogs FREE 01:00:00
- OJ: New Media Tools and terms FREE 01:00:00
- OJ: Internet Search strategies for Journalists aka Computer Assisted Reporting FREE 00:45:00
- MP: Digital Audio Production and Podcasting FREE 00:00:00
- MP: Digital video storytelling with Movie Maker FREE 06:00:00
- MP: Digital photography, photo production and sharing FREE 00:00:00
- TMJ: Multimedia Design including making logos,banners etc FREE 04:20:00
- MP: Tools for multimedia content packaging FREE 00:00:00
- TMJ: Internet Security Basics FREE 06:00:00
- TMJ: Basic Mapping for news and information FREE 04:40:00
- MP: Data journalism and Visualization FREE 04:00:00
- VR: Tools for Immersive Storytelling 01:20:00
- TMJ: Maximizing Social media for better news and information delivery FREE 08:00:00
- TMJ: New Media Revenue Models FREE 06:00:00
- BWS: Search Engine Optimization FREE 2 days
- TMJ: Live reporting and Live Streaming FREE 08:00:00
- OJ: Aggregation and curation: two concepts that explain a lot about digital change FREE 00:30:00
- PJ: Crowd sourcing and crowd sourced journalism FREE 02:00:00
- TMJ: Media Convergence and new media strategies FREE 04:00:00
- SME: Optimising your social media strategy FREE 00:00:00