S.1 Art: INTRODUCTION TO GRAPHIC DESIGN
WHAT IS GRAPHIC DESIGN?
- It is the arrangement and use of typefaces or words and visual images to communicate or convey a message.
- It involves the use of simplified symbols/ images and typography in a creative layout to attract viewers.
- Typeface is a set of characters, that is, letters, numbers/ digits, punctuations, and symbols.
- Typography is the art or technique of arranging letters and the text (the whole writing) of a given piece of work to make it legible (readable), clear and visually appealing to the viewer or reader.
- Layout is the arrangement of all the elements (objects) on a page by placing the text/ words, images and style creatively.
Layout enhances or beautifies the appearance of the whole design (work of art).
Since graphic design is used in producing letter works, we shall begin with construction of the letters of the Alphabet.
The first Alphabet is constructed with UPPER CASE LETTERS, sometimes referred to as block letters.
When constructing the upper case letters to make the Alphabet, the following MUST be observed:
- We use units of 3 X 5, i e 3 horizontal squares X 5 vertical squares and all together making 15 squares- one big vertical triangle and 5X5 to make 25 squares together. These must be perfectly measured squares as seen below.
- Most letters are constructed in the units of 3X5 apart from M and W which are constructed in units of 5X5 as seen below.
- All parts of each letter have the same thickness which is the size of one unit/ square.
- Always look out for and use the middle points (like those shaded on the boxes) of the entire letter or part(s) of the letter in the construction process.
- Use all drawing instruments necessary when drawing for purposes of accuracy thus, compass, ruler, e t c.
- No letter should go out of the whole letter box.
- Draw X in the middle 2nd boxes for all curved letters to achieve perfect curves and circles as seen in the boxes below.
the two Xs help to form the curves with a pair ofcompass
Study the above procedure carefully. The X does not help in non-curved letters.
Are you ready now? ,
QN, construct all letters of the Alphabet in your Art books. Use 1cm2 units or boxes following the procedure. Erase the lines or boxes later
The above demos are simply showing how to do it on one letter, you don’t have to do four steps for each letter.